Patrick B. Wolfe
son of John R. and Honora Buckly
Chicago, Illinois -- Clinton County, Iowa -- County Kerry, Ireland
Wolfe's History of Clinton County, Iowa; Vol 2; B.F. Bowen & Co; Indianapolis, Indiana: 1911
The present review is concerned with the life of a man whose character and ability are, by reason of his long and honorable connection with the practice of law, well known to the people of Clinton county and of the state of Iowa, and whose extensive familiarity with his own county made him especially fitted to server as editor-in-chief of the history of Clinton county.
Patrick B. Wolfe was born in Chicago, Illinois, on October 7, 1848, the son of John R. and Honora (Buckley) Wolfe.
John R. Wolfe was born in County Kerry, Ireland, in 1824, the son of Richard Wolfe, who was the agent having charge of the property of the Knight of Kerry. He received and excellent education. During his young manhood he helped to organize the "Young Ireland" party. He left Ireland in 1848, coming to America, first locating at Ottawa, Illinois. Here he remained on a farm until 1854, when he moved to Clinton county, Iowa, to land near Lost Nation, which he had entered the winter before, and lived there until his death in 1885, becoming one of the largest landholders and most successful farmers of his township. Mr. Wolfe did not take any great interest in politics. He was opposed to slavery. In religion he and his entire family were staunch Catholics, and active workers in the church.
John R. Wolfe was married in Ireland to Honora Buckley. She was a member of a family prominent in the church and at the bar, Michael Buckley, her brother, having been the leader of the Belfast bar for many years. The Wolfe family were also prominent in the church and in law, so that it was natural for the American descendants to turn to the bar in choice of a profession. Mrs. Wolfe died in 1888.
Mr and Mrs Wolfe were the parents of ten children, two of whom died in infancy, and those who grew to maturity are the following: James, a farmer near Lost Nation; Patrick B.; Johanna, who is now Sister Scholastica of the Orders of Sisters of Mercy at Sioux City, Iowa; John, a farmer at Melrose, Monroe county, Iowa; Maurice, a farmer near Lost Nation; Margaret, now the wife of Dr. D. Langan, of Clinton; Katherine, the widow of Judge T.D. Fitzgerald, of Montana, at one time president of the Montana Senate, now living in Clinton; and Richard B., an attorney at De Witt, Clinton county, Iowa.
Patrick B. Wolfe attended the common schools of Liberty township, Clinton county, for a time, then spent one year in the Christian Brothers Academy at La Salle, Illinois. He was a student in the academic department of Iowa State University for two years, then took a full law course from that institution, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1870. In January, 1871, he began the practice of law at De Witt, Clinton county, Iowa, and for a few years suffered from the proverbial hardships of the young lawyer, but soon came into an extensive practice. In 1877 he formed a partnership with W.A. Cotton, under the name of Cotton & Wolfe, which continued until 1888. For four years he served as attorney for the town of DeWitt, and was a member of the De Witt school board for fifteen years. In 1885 he was elected to the Iowa Senate, and served three sessions, resigning from his position in October, 1891, when he was appointed judge of the district court for the seventh judicial district, holding his first term of court in November of 1891. He served on the bench until September 1, 1904, when he resigned to form a partnership in the practice of law with his son. it is a unique fact that Judge Wolfe has resigned from every public office which he has held. In 1899 he was nominated for judge of the supreme court of the state of Iowa, and was defeated by a close margin. He is again a candidate in 1910. His law office was moved from De Witt to Clinton in May, 1891, and his residence was transferred in 1893. Mr. Wolfe was a member of the public library board of the city of Clinton.
Mr. Wolfe was married on May 1, 1878, to Margaret Connole, the daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Malone) Connole, who came from Ireland and located in De Witt. To this union three children were born. John L. Wolfe was born in 1879; graduated from the Clinton high school; took the classical course at St. Mary's College in Kansas, graduating with the degree of Bachelor of Arts; too a post-graduate course in Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., receiving there his Master of Arts degree, and then took the law course there and received the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He spent a year in the University of Berlin, Germany, and in 1904 entered into partnership with his father. He is now serving on his second term as a representative in the lower house of the Iowa General Assembly. Mary Wolfe was born on June 27, 1881, and is a graduate of Sinsiniwa College of Wisconsin, and Trinity College, in Washington, D.C. One child died in infancy.
Source: Biographies of Those Who Came From Co. Kerry, Ireland
Also from the Irish of Iowa is another reference P. B. Wolfe
"From Vol 2 History of Davenport and Scott County" by Harry E. Downer - S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago
Cornelius H. Murphy, self-educated and self-made, is now a leading lawyer of the Davenport bar, having a large and representative clientage. He was born in Wilmington, Delaware, on the 15th of March, 1857. His father, Dennis Murphy, a native of County Cork, Ireland, came to the United States in 1848 and for some years was in the employ of Cornelius Vanderbilt. He afterward removed to Wilmington, Delaware, and in 1867 came to Iowa, settling in Dewitt, Clinton county, where he established a grocery store, which he conducted with continuous success for many years. He remained a resident of that city until his death in 1907. He had for about eighteen years survived his wife, who bore the maiden name of Ellen Harkin and was a native of County Donegal, Ireland.
Cornelius H. Murphy was a youth of ten years when he accompanied his parents on their westward removal to Dewitt, Iowa, where in the public schools he continued his education until he began preparation for the practice of law as a student in the State University, from which he was graduated in the law class of 1889. He had to work his own way through school, employment on the railroad giving him funds which enabled him to pursue his education. Laudable ambition, however, prompted him to qualify for a professional career, while determination and energy enabled him to set at naught the difficulties and obstacles which barred his path. Following his graduation he entered the office of P. B. Wolfe, at Dewitt, where he remained for a year, after which he spent two years in law practice on the Pacific coast.
On the expiration of that period Mr. Murphy came to Davenport, where he has since been located, and his success at the bar is the best evidence of his ability. He prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care, is strong in argument and logical in his deductions and as the years have passed he has enjoyed a continually growing practice that has connected him with much of the important litigation tried in the courts of the district. He also figures prominently in republican circles, has served as a member of the central committees of the party and his opinions carry weight in its councils. For four years he filled the office of assistant county attorney but has no desire for political preferment outside the strict path of his profession. He is, however, deeply interested in the political questions of the day and is thoroughly grounded in the principles that divide the two great parties.
On the 24th of May, 1893, Mr. Murphy was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Webster, a native of Muscatine, Iowa, and a daughter of W. W. and Eliza J. Webster. They are well known in the social circles of the city and Mr. Murphy is a prominent Mason, belonging to Trinity lodge, A. F. & A. M., while in Zarepath Consistory he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He is now senior warden of the eighteenth degree and he also belongs to Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine. He is likewise a past chancellor of Damon Lodge, No. 10, K. P., is a member of the Pythian grand lodge and is serving on the judiciary and other important committees. He is also a stalwart champion of the temperance cause and his influence is ever found on the side of right and progress, reform and advancement. Druing the years of his residence in Davenport he has made many friends and is one of the popular as well as one of the leading members of the bar.
© COPYRIGHT: The contents of this home page are
copyright by Data Tree Publishing
Last Updated on 1 September 2004 by
There have been visitors to this page
The music now playing is: