THE NATIONAL GAZETTEER 1860-1880
BANDON OR BANDON-BRIDGE, a parliamentary borough and markdown in the parish of Ballymodan, in the baronies of Kinalmeaky and East Carbery and partially in the parish of Kilbrogan, in the barony of Kinalmeaky, co Cork and providence Munster, Ireland 20 miles to the SW of Cork and 180 miles from Dublin. It is connected with Cork by the Cork and Bandon Railway which was completed in 1850. This town was founded by the first Earl of Cork in the reign of James I., who granted it a charter and incorporation, It was defended by walls with several forts at the entrances, and was the asylum of English Protestants during the Civil War in the reign of Charles I. The walls were razed after the revolution of 1688, but some portions of them still remain. The town is situated on the banks of the river Bandon, in a pleasant and fertile country, not far from the sea-coast. At Inishannon, 4 miles to the N.E., the river becomes navigable, and falls into the sea ar Kinsale. Bandon is a well-built town,, containg mary good houses. Most of the buildings are stone, but the number of inhabited houses has gradually decreased from 1,180 in 1841, to 982 in 1861. A bridge of six arches crosses the river and connects the two parts of the town, the principal streets on both sides of the river terminate at the bridge. The railway station is on the south side of the river. The linen manufacture, which was formerly an important branch of the local industry, has ceased to be carried on. Woolen and cotton goods, camlets and stuffs, are made to a small extent. There are distilleries and breweries, and numerous tan yards. A small import and a large export trade in corn and butter is carried on. Bandon is famous for the beauty of its CHURCHES. The new parish of Ballymodan is an elegant structure in the Gothic style of architecture, built (partly at the expense of the Ecclesiastical Commissioner for Ireland, and partly by voluntary subscription) at a cost of over L10,000. It is capable of accommodating 1,150 persons, and is erected on the site of the old church,, which had been built by the founder of the town. It has a very fine organ, presented by the lat Hon. and Very Rev. Richard B. Bernard, Dean of Leighlin. There are also places of worship for Roman Catholics, Presbyterians, the Scotch Church and two for Wesleyan Methodists. A convent was established in 1829 and there are two free schools, one of which was founded and endowed by Viscount Boyle. The town contains a court-house, a corn-market, a fish market, barracks and a bridewell. It has also two public libraries, a savings-bank, a branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, an infirmary, and a fever hospital. The borough returns one representative in commissioners. its revenue is about L580 and its population 6,218, according to the census of 1861, of whom 1,553 are returned as belonging to the Established Church, 4,294 are Roman Catholics, 264 Methodists, 84 Presbyterians , and 27 of other denominations. Bandon is the seat of the Poor-law Union, and contains the union-house. It is also the head of an excise and police district. Quarter and petty sessions are held here. The Duke of Devonshire and the Earl of Bandon are the chief proprietors of the town, the later od whom has his sear at Castle Bernard, near Bandon. The Boyle family take from this place the title of Baron of Bandon-Brodge. The market is held in Saturday, Fairs are held the first Wednesday of each month, except May, and November , on the 6th and 25th May, on Holy Thursday, the 29th of October and the 8th of November.
BALLYMODEN, a parish in the baronies of Kinalmeaky and East Carbury, in the co of Cork, prov. of Munster, Ireland 15 miles to the S.W. of Cork. It lies on the south bank of the river Bandon, and comprises the greater part of the town Bandon. The soil is good and the scenery of the district is very pleasant. The living is a vic. in the dioc. of Cork, Cloyne, and Ross, of the val. of L367, in the patron. of the bishop. The church which was rebuilt in 1849, is a neat edifice in the pointed style of architecture. There are chapels belonging to the Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, and Wesleyans. Castle Bernard, the seat of the Earl of Bandon, is a noble mansion, surrounded by an extensive, beautiful, and richly wooded park, on the river Bandon. It is on the site of a castle formerly the seat of O'MAHONYS. Among the other pleasant seats are The Farm, and Elizabethan mansion, Mayfield, Hare Hill, etc.
COPYRIGHT: The contents of this home page are
copyright by Data Tree Publishing
Last updated 1 April 2004
The music now playing is: